STOP STEVE BANNON!
In the short time of Trump’s tenure (though it seemed too long already), we’ve seen many decisions made by him and his administration that anger and hurt our country. If it seems like there are too many things going on at the same time that we need to oppose/fight, there is. And it’s for a reason. This is the Trump administration’s way of attempting to confuse and divide us. It is our job to keep ourselves organized so every matter has the attention it deserves. One of these is the recent appointment of Steve Bannon as Chief Strategist and Senior Counselor to the White House.
No longer will the highest-ranking military officer and the highest-ranking intelligence officer in the United States be a permanent addition to the National Security Council. But Steve Bannon will.
WHY NOT BANNON?
If you aren’t familiar with who Steve Bannon is prior to his appointment as Chief Strategist and Senior Counselor, here are the highlights:
- Founder of and contributor to the shit publication Breitbart, a “news” site for those who love to indulge in racist, Islamophobic, anti-semitic and misogynistic “journalism”
- No national security experience (unless you count seven years in the Navy)
- Advocates for press gags, even being quoted as saying, “The media should be embarrassed and humiliated and keep its mouth shut and just listen for a while.”
Having an individual as a permanent member of the NSC who holds these bigoted and hateful views is not safe for our country. A man who has been lauded by multiple white supremacy people and groups has absolutely no business in being an integral part of America’s security proceedings.
HOW TO FIGHT BACK!
So how do we stop this from happening? Keep fighting, keep writing, keep shouting, keep tweeting. Staying organized and driven is crucial.
- Sign the petition here to stop Steve Bannon (currently at 430,103 signatures out of the 450k needed!)
- Find your representative here so you can contact them to protest Bannon’s appointment.
- Stop referring to Steve Bannon and his ilk as “alt-right”. They are white supremacists and have proven this fact through their actions. Allowing them to be referred to as alt-right allows them to still fit in with the rest of American society and have their words and actions normalized.
- Call Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (202-225-0600); House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (202-225-4000); and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (202-224-2541) to let them know you want them to publicly condemn Bannon’s appointment.
- Hook up with local activist groups to see what they are doing in your area to pressure your representatives into publicly rejecting Bannon.
Here are two versions of scripts you can use when you call:
Hello, I am your consituent from [INSERT LOCATION] and I was wondering when [INSERT NAME] was planning on releasing a statement condemning Steve Bannon, the white supremacist who Donald Trump has appointed as his chief strategist?
Hello, I am asking [INSERT NAME] to publicly condemn the appointment of Steve Bannon as White House Chief Strategist. There is no room for racism, sexism, antisemitism, homophobia, and hatred in the White House.
Visit SuitUp Nation’s Facebook Group to join in the conversation and become part of the #SUN movement. Make sure to let us know when you’ve taken action! Leave us a comment on our Facebook Page! Tell everyone you’re a bad a** activist who’s standing up for Human Rights all over North America!